5 Minutes with Sue Raisty
Many of you may know Sue from her Cranky Product Manager blog. Sue has stepped out from behind the blog and we’re looking forward to meeting, and hearing from, the “real” cranky at Leading The Product. Take 5 mins to get to know Sue a bit better here.
1. How did you become involved in the field of product management?
When I was a wee lass, I co-founded a startup with 3 other engineers, and I was the only one who was “fit to interact with other humans” (their words, not mine). So, I became the de facto product manager (and project manager and engineering manager and …) without even knowing it — long before I even knew what a product manager even was. But I was a BAD product manager and had no clue what I was doing. (example: I did cost-plus pricing).
My “formal” entry into PM was during business school; I landed a product management internship at a software startup that Motorola had acquired. I got a full-time, official PM role in 2001 and have been loving the field ever since.
2. What do you enjoy most about what you do?
* Meeting customers and chit-chatting about their problems, what they think of the product, etc.
* Brainstorming with Engineers about the possibilities of our technology
* Having people tell me my product is awesome, changed their life, etc.
3. What are the biggest challenges you face?
As a PM? I struggle with big idea overload — my team and I always think of too many big (but amazing) ideas for the product… if only we had the time and fewer bugs to fix…
As a person? Getting enough sleep. My brain doesn’t want to shut down at a reasonable hour and I end up going to sleep way too late. (Example: it’s 2am as I write this).